FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) or Strip hair transplant is an old hair graft harvesting technique that used to restores hair loss.
This technique involves the strip harvesting from the back and sides of the scalp where the hair roots are destined to remain permanent in nature. FUT technique is done using simple incision and suture followed by the advanced closure technique, i.e. the Trichophytic closure. Used of this technique was started in the 90’s. It became popular throughout word in very less time as it was first and only way to get guaranteed natural results. e.
After gaining popularity at one stage later its popularity started fading with the emergence of new technique of harvesting grafts which is known as FUE a minimally invasive hair transplant method get bigger. FUE in no time achieved popular acceptance among doctors and patients equally. This occurred in light of the fact that the FUE excessively exceptionally reduce the risk of side effect with a very impressive result and leaves no unpleasant mark as left in FUT. Also made enable doctors to extract large number of hair grafts as in this technique doctor can consider donor graft from any part of the body. In FUT vdonor area is limited to back of head and side of head.
1). The primary disadvantage of FUT procedure is it leaves linear and permanent scars at graft harvested site or donor site. At least 5 – 10% of patient complains of chronic hyperesthesia located at the donor site where the scar is present after the healing.
2). 20 – 25% of the FUT operated patients accounted for hyperesthesia in the scar's region. And when due to failure of first procedure or any other region multiple session of FUT take place the likelihood of such complaint essentially amplified..
3). Other drawback comes due to wrong handling of grafts by untrained paramedical workers; if grafts are not properly extracted from strip then follicles get injured that puts survival of implanted grafts at stake. And secondly the sometime the size of grafts comprises of 4-5 hair roots/follicles, in such cases if reception is created for large-size grafts leads to an obnoxious aesthetic result.
4). This has been observed that people, who get FUT hair transplant, do visit doctors or plastic surgeons for reduction of scars by transplant rarer on scar left at donor site by means of minimally invasive technique. Besides, 15 – 20% of the FUT hair transplant cases request to restoration of the dysmorphic and apparent scars. All these unwanted aftermath have made FUT unpopular and resulted into decrease in demand.
After the procedure, one encounters soreness, thus it is advised to take medications in order to reduce the chances of a sore scalp, pain, swelling, and minor infections.
1. Pain: Despite the fact that hair transplant is an aesthetic procedure, FUT still a surgical procedure, and numerous patients may experience potential pain during and after the procedure. FUT is a persistent surgery that is frequently causes discomfort even painful. To fix balding, around 10 inches long strip is removed from donor area (rear or sides of head) under local anesthesia. Moreover, pain is felt from the needle that regulates buy the anesthesia during the procedure. Patients need to take painkillers to overcome the pain at donor site and recipient site days after the procedure.
2. Swelling: Though temporarily, swelling is extremely regular in FUT hair transplant. Patients are bound to encounter pain at the operated site, and even some Swelling in the region could happen. Swelling (or oedema ) at eyebrow or eyelids or upper face is a typical consequence of FUT hair transplantation procedure, which may last 2–6 days after the procedure. Sometimes, this Swelling is serious to such an extent that the patient can't open his/her eyes. In exceptional cases patients complains of ecchymosis (blackness, a discoloration of the skin due to bleeding underneath) around eyelids. This began decreasing following 7 days on words.
3. Redness: It is very common and normal to encounter redness after the FUT procedure because of healing cycle. It takes one and three weeks for it to heal properly, till the one has to abide it.
4. Itching: One can experience sensation or itching after hair transplant or during start of hair growth. Itching indicates the healing of the treatment area including donor as well as at recipient. This goes with time. Some time Dryness of the scalp may be the cause behind the itching.
5. Donor pain after procedure: In FUT more pain is experienced in contrast with FUE (practically no pain) in the donor region than the beneficiary region after the activity. Post-operation hair relocates pain can be relieved by pain killers.
6. Recovery time needed: FUT takes much longer time upto 2-3 weeks after the procedure as compared to FUE maximum 1 week to recover. But the patient can start their day to day work from next day after the procedure.
7. Scars: Scars is visible after head shave, it may be reduced to minimal, by trichophytic closure. Scarring can be awfully difficult for patients who have a hereditary predisposition towards scarring. It can be perceptible with men who maintain shorter hair styles.
8. Cysts: A cyst is a sac-like pocket of membranous tissue that may contains liquid, air, or different substances. Cysts can potentially appear in the transplant area after the procedure. The size of cysts very much depends on the causes which include in-grown hair, irritation due to the presence of the newly planted grafts, or just secondary to the trauma of the procedure itself. This can be hazardous on the grounds that this can harm hair follicles near the contamination or pimples can affect the re-growth of hair. Blisters show up as little skin-hued swellings around the relocated hair follicles, which can get erythematous and excruciating. Cysts can also form when the hair follicle is damaged and the skin is penetrated too deeply. In the end, these cysts are generally compassionate and resolve after two or three weeks on their own. This can be problematic because this can damage hair follicles close to the infection or cysts can impact the re-growth of hair. It is easily curable with medication. In worst case, cysts must be removed through surgery but can continue to be extremely bothersome after the operation.
9. Blood Loss: Many patients who undergo FUT hair transplant surgery notices some amount of bleeding, both in the graft area as well as the donor site, but very little or almost no bleeding in FUE. After FUT bleeding may occur the night after surgery or up to a few days after. This obviously results in cuts and holes in skin, which can further because blood loss if surgical procedures and standards are ignored, procedure may become troublesome. A bit of general advice for those who are taking blood thinner piles needs to stop 4 to 5 days before the procedure. FUT or FUE is a surgical procedure proper arrangement and precautions should be made.
All the above side effects can easily get the solutions with the recommended medications mandatory as a post-care follow-ups!
Why People are choosing FUE over FUT
There many reasons due of which the people
1. No Scar: There is a major scar in FUE procedure.
2. Better result in FUE: years of practice in FUE gives better result.
3. Safe: It is safe procedure as there is no major cut done to get donor graft.
4. Low Risk: Risk is almost none.
5. Unlimited Donor Area: In FUE donor area is unlimited as individual grafts or hair can be extracted from anywhere in the body where as in FUT donor area is limited to Back and sides of scalp.
6. No Blood loss: Compared to FUT, FUE involves less or almost no blood loss and pain.